10 of the Most Uncomfortable Award Show Speeches Ever
Celebrities are just like you — awkward and nervous. Okay, so technically celebs are way more glamorous than the average person, they make a LOT of money and they hang out with other awesome stars all the time. BUT, despite all their amazing attributes and the perks that come with stardom, even your favorite stars can be totes awkward (even while filming sexy YA kissing scenes).
When it comes to public speaking, even the rich and famous aren’t safe from humiliating and/or uncomfortable moments. From the MTV Movie Awards to the Academy Awards, year after year, stars take the stage to accept their prizes and, somehow, make the WORST speeches. See which 10 celebs had the most cringe-worthy award show speeches here:
1. Miley Cyrus at the 2013 MTV European Music Awards — Obviously Miley is on this list! After winning the Best Video award for “Wrecking Ball” at the EMAs, Miley revealed that she couldn’t fit the Moon Man into her purse, but she did find something else in there — a joint. The young singer then lit the joint… and began to smoke it. Umm… K.
2. Kristen Stewart at the 2010 MTV Movie Awards — KStew has won Best Kiss with her Twilight co-star, Robert Pattinson, four times in a row and every speech was terrible. Her 2010 speech was especially odd when, instead of going in for the kiss (which everyone does), she pushed RPattz away and then she fumbled around before walking off stage. Ugh, quit being so outrageously weird!
3. Kanye West at the 2015 MTV VMAs — Kanye has done a lot of strange things, but this was definitely one of his worst speeches thus far. The “Only One” singer won the Vanguard Award and decided to talk and talk and talk. The speech was really long, managed to insult other celebs and somehow went into a tangent about him running for President. Watching it was like an out-of-body experience.
4. Taylor Swift at the 2009 MTV VMAs — This will go down in history as one of the most uncomfortable, cringe-worthy acceptance speeches of all time. When T.Swift was getting ready to thank everyone for giving her the Best Female Video award, Kanye West stormed the stage and grabbed the mic. He talked about Beyonce and said those infamous words, “Imma let you finish, but…” People are STILL talking about it.
5. Justin Bieber at the 2016 Juno Awards — Biebs won the honor of Fan Choice at the Canadian award show in 2016, but he was unable to make the show, so he prerecorded an acceptance speech… and it totally bombed. The video started with Justin boxing someone, then he turns to the camera and says thank you and then goes back to his random fight. The fans were pissed and even booed him!
6. Nicki Minaj at the 2015 MTV VMAs — Yeah, this speech was definitely one to remember. Nicki won the award for Best Hip Hop Video for her song “Anaconda” and after thanking her fans and her pastor, she threw it back to Miley, who was hosting the show and things got heated real quick. Nicki called Miles a b*tch after she was quoted in an interview saying bad things about the rapper and then she said, “Miley, what’s good?” Talk about some serious shade throwing.
7. James Franco at the 2011 Academy Awards — Ugh, this was a nightmare. James hosted the 2011 Oscars with Anne Hathaway and it was a trainwreck. He acted like he was stoned the entire time and made everyone uncomfortable throughout the broadcast. Who knew someone so smart and hot could be so terrible at something?
8. Mark Wahlberg at the 2014 MTV Movie Awards — The Ted actor won the Generation Award at the MTV show and he decided to drop a LOT of F-bombs in his speech. Sure, he was really happy about winning the award, but he wasn’t a fan of the fact that it basically meant he was too old to act. Oh, did we mention all the F-bombs? See it here.
9. Angelina Jolie at the 2000 Academy Awards — The Oscars are always an intense ceremony, so things are bound to get stressful and weird… and that’s exactly what happened when Angelina took the stage. She won Best Supporting Actress for her role in Girl Interrupted and when she began talking, she said, “I’m so in love with my brother right now.” CREEPY.
10. Johnny Depp at the 2014 Hollywood Film Awards — The Pirates of the Caribbean actor is known for his eclectic style and odd behavior at times, but no one expected his bizarre speech at the 2014 show. When he was presenting during the award ceremony, he couldn’t stop messing with the microphone, cursing and slurring his words. It was a serious yikes moment.