All the Popular Things Shailene Woodley Apparently Can’t Stand
Shailene Woodley has NEVER been your regular actress. The Divergent star has been on ridiculous diets (aka when she ate clay), walked the red carpet barefoot and reportedly she has terrible breath. Despite all of Shai’s unique traits, no one can deny that she is a powerhouse actress who is a total badass on screen.
Her body of work totally speaks for itself, but even her killer acting chops can’t cover up some of her weird thoughts on things most people think are pretty awesome. Seriously, Shai is NOT a fan of a lot of popular things these days, which we guess isn’t totally bizarre since she claims she doesn’t really keep up with movies or TV. The Fault in Our Stars actress even went as far as throwing major shade at movies and stars that everyone else seems to be obsessed with. See what they are below:
1. Kylie Jenner — Apparently not everyone knows who the youngest Jenner girl is. Shailene is a total movie star, so in her world, reality stars don’t even appear on her radar. At the 2015 Insurgent premiere in London, Sugarscape asked Shailene to do her best Kylie selfie face, but the YA actress had no clue who they were even talking about. “I have no idea who that is, I’m sorry,” the 23-year-old star explained. Shai wasn’t alone, her Divergent co-star Theo James had no clue who she was either. Sorry Ky, we guess you’re not as big of a star as you think.
2. Twilight — Although Shailene is a YA actress herself, she is NOT a fan of all of the books turned movies. In fact, she seriously burned the Twilight franchise during a Teen Vogue interview and she was kind of on point. “Twilight, I’m sorry, is about a very unhealthy, toxic relationship. She falls in love with this guy and the second he leaves her, her life is over and she’s going to kill herself!” Shailene told the publication. “What message are we sending to young people? That is not going to help this world evolve.” #Burn.
3. The Secret Life of the American Teenager — Sure, Shai first really hit the acting scene in a big way when she played Amy Juergens on Secret Life, but looking back she doesn’t have the best things to say about the ABC Family show. “It was a fantastic five years of my life, but towards the end, morally, the things that we were preaching on that show weren’t really aligned with my own integrity. So that was a bit hard to show up to work every day knowing that we were going to project all of these themes to thousands — millions — of young adults across the country, when in fact they weren’t what I would like to be sending out,” the Divergent star told Flaunt magazine in 2013. She also admitted it would have been nice to leave the show, but she was stuck doing it due to her contract.
4. Fifty Shades of Grey — When the scandalous book turned movie was in the process of casting, the Insurgent actress revealed she was so NOT interested in playing the lead role, even though she has no problem with going nude. “I wasn’t really interested. I’d already signed on for Divergent anyway,” she explained to Glamour UK. “Also, I’d read the book and thought, ‘If somebody really can pull this off and make a movie out of it, they will be the biggest genius,'” she added. Wow, that’s a little harsh, but some good shade throwing on Shailene’s part.
5. Her fans — This one’s a little crazy. When you become a HUGE star, fans definitely come with the territory, but The Fault in Our Stars actress doesn’t get why her fans are so obsessed with her characters and her life in general. “The whole fan thing is very strange to me, because I’ve never had anybody that I have gone crazy for, like whether it was an actor or a musician,” Shai told Vanity Fair in the past. “And so it’s a weird thing for me to relate to, especially the screaming sort of young fandom, the Twilight, Hunger Games, Divergent world caters to. So I kind of actually try to like actively remove myself from the situation.” If having a lot of fans is the biggest issue you have Shai, we’d say you’re doing pretty well so you know, suck it up!