Everything You Need to Know About the Mortal Instruments TV Show (So Far)
When news broke last October that The Mortal Instruments would be returning, but on the small screen rather than in theaters, fans were hesitant to hop aboard with the idea. “They have to do it right!” exclaimed one fanatic. Another stated that the television show needs the original cast, otherwise “YOU WILL FEEL THE FANDOM’S WRATH.”
Some remain skeptical ’til this very day, but the latest information on the upcoming adaptation of Cassie Clare‘s hit book series may make you feel a bit more optimistic. Here’s everything you need to know about the Mortal Instruments TV drama, Shadowhunters:
1. ABC Family handed out a straight-to-series order for the adaptation. No pilots necessary; Shadowhunters is officially gonna be tested out as an actual show. According to ABC Family President Tom Ascheim (via The Hollywood Reporter), “Shadowhunters is a big, epic saga that will resonate with viewers who come to ABC Family for the Harry Potter, Hunger Games and Twilight franchises. A New York Times best-seller for 122-consecutive weeks, with over 35 million copies in print worldwide, Shadowhunters is the perfect story to share with our audience.”
2. The producers of the OG movie will also be behind the ABC Family drama. That’s right, Constantin Film will, in fact, be producing the show. As for the showrunner and executive producer, that will be all Ed Decter (Helix, Unforgettable, The Client List).
3. As for episodes and timing… So far, it looks like it’s going to be a 13-episode drama. The premiere date has yet to be determined, but filming is currently scheduled to begin in May in Toronto, where the flick was filmed.
4. Don’t look forward to the original cast. While a great majority of the fandom wouldn’t mind seeing Lily Collins, Jamie Campbell Bower, Robbie Sheehan, Kevin Zegers and the rest of the crew return to the franchise, that’s most likely NOT the case; casting is expected to be announced at a later date.
UPDATE: Shadowhunters has found its Jace!
5. The plot: Since it’s not at all connected to the film franchise, Shadowhunters is going to retell the story of 18-year-old Clary Fray, “who finds out on her birthday that she is not who she thinks she is, but rather comes from a long line of Shadowhunters — human-angel hybrids who hunt down demons.”
Are you pumped for Shadowhunters? Or would you have preferred another Mortal Instruments film? Tell us your thoughts in the comments below!
WATCH: Our exclusive interview with the cast of The Mortal Instruments!