The Carrie Diaries Casting Secrets You Won’t Be Able to Wrap Your Head Around
Although The Carrie Diaries has been off the air for almost three years, we’re still not completely over its cancellation — we need more, CW!! Throughout the show’s two seasons, fans fell in love with AnnaSophia Robb, Austin Butler, Chloe Bridges and the rest of the NYC crew, but there were many more young stars who once had a chance to join the cast. Keep reading to see all the insane secrets behind the TCD casting process, including failed auditions, rejections and tons more!
1. Brendan Dooling originally auditioned for Sebastian Kydd — While some people may have been bummed about not landing the role they initially auditioned for, this actor “was jubilent just to get a callback at all!” Brendan eventually even joked about why he wasn’t a good fit for Sebastian. “I don’t have the hair for Sebastian… That’s what I keep telling people. Austin’s got the bad boy hair. He really knows how to make that James Dean coif work. I’m happy that I’m playing Walt.”
2. Poppy Delevingne was almost cast — When Cara Delevingne‘s older sister auditioned to play Samantha Jones on TCD, she said goodbye to her British accent and taped herself doing her best impression of an American. You can view the audition on YouTube to this day!
3. AnnaSophia Robb initially turned down the lead role — Although more than 500 young actresses were considered to play Carrie on the Sex and the City spin-off, ASR was a little hesitant about taking the role. “When I was younger, I didn’t want to be on TV,” she told Teen Vogue. “I wanted to play different kinds of roles and have the freedom to choose my projects. So when my agent called about The Carrie Diaries, I said no way; TV was too much of a commitment.” Luckily, she eventually “realized it was actually a really strong story” and decided to accept the offer.
4. A Fear the Walking Dead star was a finalist for Carrie — One of the 500 actresses who sent audition tapes in for Carrie was Alycia Debnam-Carey, a star you probably know from either The 100 or Fear the Walking Dead. But while most people never heard back from the show’s producers, the 23-year-old was incredibly well-liked and ended up being one of the top contenders.
4. Lindsey Gort was rejected twice — When Lindsey found out she landed the role of Samantha Jones, she was so excited she “almost fell off of [her] balcony.” While joining such an iconic story would be an exciting time for anyone, the blonde had an even deeper reason to be so pumped — she faced rejection two times! “I thought it went well, but my agent told me they were holding out for a bigger-name actress. The next time they called me in, I didn’t get it again.” Everything happens for a reason!
The Carrie Diaries’ cancellation was SO depressing, just like these other shows’: