5 Major On-Screen Roles Taylor Swift Failed at Landing
Looking at Taylor Swift now, it’s hard to ever imagine her NOT succeeding. Whether she’s fighting for the rights of musicians, racking up award after or award, or using her music videos to launch the careers of other stars, Tay basically slays at everything she does. Well…Almost.
In addition to her superstar status in the music industry, the 25-year-old songstress has also had some pretty good on-screen experience. From her spot in The Giver to a guest-star role on her favorite TV show, CSI: Crime Scene Investigation, she’s been pretty successful on film. Buuuuut she’s also had her fair share of failures, too. Here are just a few of the HUGE acting opportunities she’s missed out on:
1. Eponine, Les Miserables — Long before Samantha Barks was officially confirmed for the film, it turns out Tay was actually up for the part — against Lea Michele! And, yes, she actually auditioned for it! “She’s [Taylor Swift] a lovely woman and she auditioned, and she was completely un-starry. And she’s talented. It’s just that actually the requirements of that role were better fitted by Sam,” shared the film’s producer, Cameron Mackintosh. He later added that, “We didn’t need it [her star power]. Les Misérables is the star.” Oof…Not really good news for Swift, but at least it seems like she made it pretty far in the auditions!
2. Joni Mitchell, Girls Like Us — Quite a few people have actually compared Taylor to singer-songwriter Joni Mitchell, which is why it didn’t come as much of a surprise when news broke that the “Bad Blood” singer was up for the role in the film version of female rocker biopic, Girls Like Us, back in 2012. However, it seems as if Joni herself wasn’t as thrilled about the idea as everyone else! She slammed both the idea of Taylor playing her and the script itself to The Sunday Times by saying, “I squelched that. I said to the producer, ‘All you’ve got is a girl with high cheekbones.’ It’s just a lot of gossip, you don’t have the great scenes. There’s a lot of nonsense about me in books…assumptions, assumptions, assumptions.” Ouch! Well, we guess things worked out for the best then, right?
3. Guest star, Scream Queens — Sometimes being Taylor Swift can get in the way of acting gigs. In fact, Scream Queens creator Ryan Murphy has been trying to score the “Style” singer on one of his numerous shows for years! “I love Taylor Swift. I go after Taylor Swift for everything that I do. I have great affection for her. And she’s always been so nice about giving me stuff. And I think she’s great,” he told HollywoodLife.com at the show’s L.A. premiere, “I would love to work with her. I actually called her people about her for this [Scream Queens], but she had already booked a tour, and I said, ‘Just do one episode,’ but she couldn’t even do that. But some day, because I’m a big fan.” Instead, the show created the hilarious character named Deaf Taylor Swift, and even spoofed Swiftmas in their Halloween special! We guess we’ll just have to wait and see if she ever has the time to jump in, right? Fingers crossed!
4. Multiple roles, Looking For Alaska — T. Swift has made it clear on Tumblr that she’s just as big of a John Green fan as the rest of us. Well, it turns out the author is a huge Swiftie, too, and actually considered getting her a gig in his latest book-turned-movie, Looking For Alaska! “She’d be a great Takumi. She’d be great as The Colonel. It could be one of those movies where Taylor Swift plays every character, just in a different outfit… like Austin Powers. Starring Taylor Swift, AND Taylor Swift. Let’s keep our fingers crossed for that,” John revealed to Access Hollywood. So, what exactly went wrong with this idea? “It’s not my decision who to cast. I do like Taylor Swift a lot, I’m a big Taylor Swift fan,” he added in his interview. Only to clarify it later on Twitter in saying, “It was clearly a joke…” and “I think she’s busy being the world’s biggest pop star.” Sorry, Tay! Maybe you could try and clear up your schedule a bit still?
5. Unknown Role, Secret In Their Eyes — What better way to break into the acting industry than starring in a movie alongside Oscar winners Julia Roberts and Nicole Kidman, right?! Well, it seems like Taylor really had her eye on the prize with this one. According to J-14, the “Wildest Dreams” singer was chasing her latest acting dreams by vying for a role in this year’s buzzed about thriller, Secret In Their Eyes. And while we don’t know exactly what the part was, we do know that she was up against Julia Roberts’ very own niece: Emma Roberts! So, who got the part? Neither! And we guess we’ll just have to wait to see the movie to try and figure out what part she was trying to land.
But, knowing Taylor, we have a feeling she’ll get more acting big-breaks some day. Just keep working at it, girl!