17 Times SpongeBob SquarePants Was Too Inappropriate for Children to Watch
SpongeBob SquarePants is one of those shows where we aren’t quite sure if the writers didn’t actually mean to slip in so many adult jokes or if they placed them there on purpose because they secretly knew ’90s kids were still watching Nickelodeon and were finally old enough to understand them. Either way, children’s shows are no place for adult content, and we’re kind of surprised at how blatantly obvious some of the jokes are. Bikini Bottom, Sandy Cheeks, Mr. Krabs — think those names over in your head for a hot second… Yup, you understand now.
If you haven’t read these disturbing SBSP fan theories yet, here are a ton of other things that had us questioning (after we giggled ourselves silly) if this content was really appropriate for kids:
1. SpongeBob wearing underwear on his head. That’s not where it goes, but that’s where it looks like it belongs. See it?
2. “Please tell me that’s your nose.” Yes, please tell us that’s your nose, SpongeBob!
3. Mr. Krabs and The Case of The Underwire Bra. We have to admit, he looks pretty good. And he could also use it to hold all of his money because he’s Mr. Krabs and he loves money.
4. This balloon doesn’t remind us of anything else. Nope, nothing to see here at all.
5. Patrick and SpongBob’s little money hand-off had us scratching our heads for a minute. Why do they look like they just got caught doing something they weren’t supposed to?
6. SpongeBob spraying Patrick’s manhood away. Or at least that’s how we took it.
7. When SpongeBob and Patrick are thinking of new plans on how they can sell more chocolate bars, Patrick goes with, “Let’s get naked!” It’s a good strategy, but we don’t think it’s going to work, guys.
8. Patrick deciding that Squidward needs to become friends with a pickle. Why couldn’t it have been an ice cream cone or a pretzel or anything but a pickle?
9. SpongeBob decides to let Squidward live with him after a rough time, so Squidward has SpongeBob wait on him hand and foot. The french maid’s outfit, though… Sending so many bad signals.
10. No one wants to see your underwear, Patrick. Really, though. Keep that one to yourself.
11. Patrick trying to build a lamp out of sand. Look away, kids!
12. Patrick para-gliding. Anyone else get a “We’re going streaking”! Old School flashback?
13. “Patrick, your genius is showing!” No, not that.
14. Patrick makes an “I’m Sorry” cake for SpongeBob… and then shoves it down the back of his pants. The results are terrifying.
15. “Perfect! Censorship!” No, really. That seashell is perfectly placed.
16. Does Spongebob have hair? On second thought, we don’t want to know.
17. “Any particular reason you took your pants off?” Such a valid question, yet it seems like Patrick just likes a life with no pants. He is a starfish after all.