15 Things Only People Born and Raised in New York Would Understand
New Yorkers rule at life. Accept it, embrace it and move on… Okay, so this is written by a born-and-raised New Yorker, but still. Anyone who’s spent their life in this fine state feels the same way. For more on the way we think, here are 15 surefire signs you were bred in New York:
1. Only people from NY really don’t take advantage of living in NY. The biggest attractions in NYC, like the Empire State Building and Times Square, are rarely frequented by born-and-raised New Yorkers; it’s all meh to us.
2. We always refer to Manhattan as “the city.” As if there are no other cities in the world. (Which, let’s face it, there isn’t a comparison.)
3. There’s no need for a driver’s license. Between all the trains and buses and taxis, you’re better off taking other forms of transportation than wasting your money on gas (and parking).
4. Living someplace your entire life and STILL not understanding how to get around. Freaking subway system.
5. No one from the outside lands understands the torture of regents exams. Think of them as the baby SATs, but in specific subjects… over the course of your entire high school career.
6. NYC bagels are THE best. Quality water = better bagels; it’s just a fact.
7. Same goes for pizza. If you’re eating a non-New York slice of pizza, you’re doing it wrong.
8. When you say you’re from New York, people automatically assume Manhattan. There are other boroughs and towns, you know.
9. No, we don’t all pronounce it as “New Yawk.” Not saying the accent doesn’t exist, because it definitely does, but it doesn’t apply to everyone.
10. Commuting an hour and a half at 12 years old via public transportation’s really not that big of a deal. For instance, kids from all the outer boroughs and cities travel from home to Stuyvesant High School in Lower Manhattan daily. NBD for them.
11. People from New York rarely leave New York. Unless it’s for, like, a mini-vacation.
12. Everything needs to be fast-paced. Move, tourists!
13. …especially food. Hold up, I need to wait FIVE minutes for a burger?
14. You can wear whatever the heck you want and get away with it. Paper bags, yesterday’s leftovers, your birthday suit, there isn’t anything we haven’t seen.
15. You’re a natural-born haggler. Nobody’s gonna charge you more than $50 for a knockoff Louis Vuitton purse.