All the Times Selena Gomez Awkwardly Ran Into Her Exes
Exes are the worst. Most of the time you don’t know if you’re supposed to be friends with your ex (like Nina Dobrev and Ian Somerhalder are), or if you’re supposed to hate them with all your guts. Romance is complicated enough, but when you add in having to balance your ex with your new bae, or just figure out how to get over your former flame, it can be too much to handle.
When in doubt look to celebrities for guidance. Okay, so that’s not a real rule, but in some cases stars do the right thing when it comes to their exes. Like when singers actually performed with their ex and seemed to be totally okay doing it. Or all of the times Selena Gomez has managed to escape awkward (well they were still awkward) run-ins with her exes. If you don’t know what we’re talking about, take a trip down memory lane, with all of Sel’s strange ex encounters.
1. Taylor Lautner — In 2009, Selena and Taylor dated while they were in Vancouver, Canada filming movies. These two were adorable together, so when they broke up, it kind of sucked. The first time the pair was reunited in 2010 it was a little awkward, obviously, but the two actors handled it like pros. In January 2010, the two stars ran into each other at a charity event called the Hope for Haiti Telethon. They each manned the telephones throughout the event and managed to avoid each other most of the night, but the encounter was still a little weird.
In August of that year, the couple’s reunion went a little smoother. Sel and Taylor reunited for real at the 2010 Teen Choice Awards and when they saw each other they went in for a big hug. “They both ran to each other and gave each other a huge hug in front of everyone,” an audience member told Radar Online. “They rocked from side to side as they held each other. They were beyond happy to see each other and looked thrilled and had the biggest smiles on their faces.”
2. Justin Bieber — Jelena are constantly breaking up and getting back together and it is SO complicated. When the couple split in 2013, the first time they saw each other (well, when they weren’t spotted hooking up) was at the Billboard Music Awards in May 2013. The whole night was one awkward moment after another. Sel sat with her BFF Taylor Swift at the show and they danced the night away. Tay-Tay was there as her support system as they watched JB win two awards.
Backstage, Selena took the high road and congratulated Justin on his awards. When they ran into each other, they did a kind of sweet, cheek kiss thing, which Taylor was NOT a fan of. As you can see below, Jelena are kissing on the far right as the “Bad Blood” singer sticks her tongue out, because it was not cool at the time. #UGH.
3. Justin Bieber (again) — These two just can’t stay away from one another. Although Selena and Justin have been broken up officially since 2013, they have briefly gotten back together in 2014 and they were rumored to have been hooking up again in 2015. That being said, their 2015 Met Gala encounter was anything but happy. In fact they totally avoided each other at the event in May. Selena even had her longtime bestie Vanessa Hudgens help her stay away from her ex.
“She’s one of my best friends and you just want to have your girlfriends’ backs,” Vanessa told Us Weekly. “So that’s what I did. We didn’t really try to avoid him or anything. I mean, no one really wants to see your ex boyfriend.” Justin however made sure he at least saw his ex and later told reporters, “Selena looked gorgeous at the Met Ball.” OMG, we can’t handle these two sometimes.
4. Nick Jonas — These two former lovebirds have had a LOT of random encounters in 2015. In July 2015, the former Disney Channel stars, who dated in 2008, ran into each other while out in California and the world kind of freaked out. “[We] kind of ran into each other a couple of weeks ago, like, walking in Venice,” Nick told Capital FM about their July meet up. “We were both with separate groups of friends and we ran into each other. I put a dinner together with a bunch of really great people. It was nice to connect and just catch up.”
Sel and Nick then ran into each other and partied together at an MTV Video Music Awards’ after party in August, which sparked romance rumors about the pair. They were spotted whispering at the party together as Nick’s big brother, Joe Jonas was putting his DJ skills to use. Sadly, the rekindled romance rumors were just rumors and these two are just friends. At least they aren’t as awkward at the reunion part as her other exes are.
5. Zedd — Sel’s relationship with Zedd might have been short lived, but that doesn’t mean there wasn’t some serious heat when the two met up again in December 2015. The “I Want You To Know” singers (they sang this song together) dated in early 2015 (they broke up in April), and after their breakup they seemed pretty positive about the whole situation.
At the 2015 Jingle Ball New York concert, the two reunited to perform their single and although their body language in the pictures looked a little tense, they seemed to be fine together. “Reunion with my favorite lil Mexican taco,” Zedd wrote on a photo of the duo. Mexican taco? Alright Zedd, whatever you say.