5 Shocking Theories That’ll Change the Way You Look At Peter Pan
Even though it’s been over 60 years since Disney released its animated Peter Pan movie, and it’s been way longer since the original story and play were published, the famed flyer’s name is all over headlines right now. Reason #1: next year’s Pan, starring Hugh Jackman, Amanda Seyfried and Rooney Mara. Reason #2: NBC’s production of Peter Pan Live!, starring Girls‘ Allison Williams.
With those two projects both in the works, it seems like the perfect time to introduce you to all the shocking (and extremely creepy) theories that’ll change the way you look at Peter Pan:
1. Peter KILLS Lost Boys when they become too old. In the OG book, it reads, “When [the Lost Boys] seem to be growing up, which is against the rules, Peter thins them out.” Umm…
2. Peter is a pedophile. “Peter Pan is old and it’s implied that he has been outside [Neverland] many times. And from his distaste of adults he knows, seen, heard things so he’s not exactly innocent. He never grows up physically but mentally he is as wise and adult as a person can be and more. It just something that dawned on me after reading that the author might be a pedo so I guess he wrote this tale for reflection or something.”—Yahoo!
3. Peter is an angel; Neverland is Heaven. Here’s the theory:
4. The backstory is really dark. Peter Pan is based off the book Peter and Wendy by J.M. Barrie. “When you get right down to it, the darkest fact from the original Peter Pan stems from the death of author J. M. Barrie’s brother at the age of 14. Barrie’s brother David was killed in a skating accident, which slashed such a deep wound in his mother that it never healed. As the theory goes, Barrie concocted the idea for Peter Pan because David, having died as a young boy, was eternally a young boy in his mother’s eyes.”—What Culture
5. Hook is actually the good guy. According to one Reddit user, Captain Hook’s not a pirate, but a captain of a ship who found out about Peter’s plot to collect earth children to bring to Neverland only to kill ’em when they hit puberty (re: #1) and attempts to stop Peter.