7 Bad Lessons You Can Learn From One Tree Hill
Whether you were a loyal viewer of One Tree Hill when it was still airing on The CW or you caught up on Netflix years later, the world of Tree Hill is a super addictive place — and we love it! But, despite easily getting sucked in by Chad Michael Murray‘s dreamy eyes or James Lafferty‘s hot bod, there’s no denying that OTH taught some prettttty bad life lessons. Don’t judge — even Boy Meets World taught people some shady things when you really think about it….
1. Getting married in high school is a great idea. Although Nathan and Haley had a rough patch during Season 2, we’re pretty sure virtually no one who gets married on a whim in high school stays together. Plus, did we all just forget that Nathan totally put a ring on it because Haley wanted to stay a virgin until she was married? #JudgingYou
2. If you cheat on your boyfriend/girlfriend, everyone will get over it shortly after. Lucas cheated on Brooke with Peyton multiple times, yet Breyton were still BFFs in the end. Also, how is it fair that Lucas and Peyton lived happily ever after while Brooke had to take a back seat and wait for her own fairy-tale-ending?
3. Never call 911. Peyton and Brooke’s epic battle with psycho Derek could have been avoided if they just called 911!!! And, on the same note, when Brooke suspected it was Xavier who kidnapped Sam, she didn’t bother to get the police to check it out — she went right on in! From Haley and Jamie taking on Nanny Carrie to Dan going to rescue Nathan after being kidnapped, literally nobody bothered to consult with the Tree Hill police department until after the fact. Ever.
4. You can date your BFF’s mom and get away with it. First of all, nothing was okay with the Skills/Deb relationship. Second, how could Nathan possibly remain friends with Skills after he knew he was dating his mom?! It’s just unnatural, people.
5. Tell your boyfriend if he gets fat. Everyone loved Mouth, even if he did gain
more than a few pounds — except for Millicent, that is. Shouldn’t your boyfriend/girlfriend be the person who doesn’t judge you for anything, especially your weight? And, Mouth loved Millie before she became a fashionista, so what gave her the right to call out his appearance?
6. Walk around town in superhero costumes like it’s NBD. We can almost guarantee that if you and your friends decided to dress up as superheroes and prance around town, the cops are going to be called. Unless you’re okay with answering some really awkward questions, Brooke, Quinn and Haley’s superwomen fiasco should probably never be recreated.
7. Adopt a baby in your early 20s. Yes, Brooke Davis was a little ahead of her time at the ripe old age of 22, but most 20-somethings we know are no where near ready to adopt (or foster) a baby — they can’t even take care of themselves! Hey, if you’re financially/mentally/physically/emotionally ready to take on a parental role at such a young age, be our guest, but if you’re not, PLEASE DON’T.
*BONUS: Bad grammar. How did NO ONE realize that there’s no apostrophe in Clothes Over Bros until the last few seasons of OTH?! C’mon, people…