Look Like Leighton for Prom in 5 Easy Steps!
Whether she’s Blair Waldorf, your roommate or just being herself, Leighton Meester (enviously) always looks ah-mazing! We enlisted the help of celebrity makeup artist Nathan Johnson (who, btw, can offer you excellent tips on shaping your brows!) to tell us exactly how to mimic Leighton’s prom-perfect makeup in 5 steps!
But before we get started, Nathan dishes on his major prom makeup pet peeve:
Powder foundation. Unless you have oily skin, Nathan says, “Just stay away from it.” A HD-specific foundation (and concealer), like what Kim Kardashian uses, “is a must for prom and with cameras flashing everywhere, you will thank me later.”
Now, with that out of the way, let’s get the look:
1. After perfecting your skin with foundation, sweep a shimmery champagne (or pink champagne) colored shadow only on the lid. Then, define the crease and outer corner of the eye with a light brown or taupe. You can get both these colors in Stila’s Ethereal Eye Shadow Trio ($20).
2. Line the upper lash line with an angled brush and black powder. You can also use a pencil, but it might smudge. Keep it really thin towards the inner eye, then start to gradually widen your line after you’ve passed over the tear duct.
3. Mascara. The trick here is to keep them feathery. To avoid weighing them down, apply a swipe of mascara, then sweep a clean disposable wand (or clean off the wand of your mascara) through the lashes. Repeat this two or three times.
4. Leighton’s look is so sheer and simple, so try to have as light of a touch as possible. The lightest touch of a soft pink blush like M.A.C.’s Mineralize Skinfinish in Soft and Gentle ($22) will add a soft glow and easy warmth to the face. You can also add a light shimmer to your collar bone and over your shoulders.
5. This is what Leighton’s look is really all about. A few weeks before prom, take some time at a makeup counter to find the right shade of red for you. Try not to go for anything to orangey, and blue undertones make your teeth look whiter (which is a fab trick for pics). Also grab a matching liner. I love MakeUp Forever’s Line Aqua Lip ($17). Line your lips (all the way into the corners) with a red pencil (smiling helps with a straight line!). Then fill in the whole lip. Give the lips a coat of your favorite red. Finally, apply a layer of super shiny gloss.
Voila! You’ll look as lovely as Leighton!