7 First Job Expectations and How They Actually Turn Out
Landing your first job is a teenage right of passage, but once the novelty of stepping into the adult world wears off most people realize becoming employed isn’t all that it’s cracked up to be. For the most part, people absolutely HATED their first place of employment. Sure there are exceptions, but we’re talking bigger picture here, guys — what you think your first job will be like usually does. not. happen. So, to everyone who hasn’t started working yet, consider yourselves lucky, because you’re soon to get some of these reality checks:
1. Expectation: You’ll be rolling in the dough.
Reality: NOPE! Thanks, taxes!
2. Expectation: Your co-workers will love you.
Reality: You’re the new girl and cliques were already formed.
3. Expectation: They’ll definitely give you off for the major holidays.
Reality: You’re not even allowed to request off months in advance.
4. Expectation: Someone will be there to help you learn the ropes.
Reality: You’re on your own, kid.
5. Expectation: Having a job will make you feel like a mature young adult.
Reality: You have serious FOMO because your friends are all still unemployed.
6. Expectation: You’ll always look cute for work.
Reality: This happens:
7. Your job is going to be rewarding and fun.
Reality: You have to force yourself not to quit.