All the Famous Females Who Awkwardly Called Her S.O. Her “Brother”
Hollywood has provided us with some of the most adorbs celebrity couples; these pairs tend to gush about each other during interviews or on social media. However, it sometimes takes a while for some couples to admit that they are, in fact, dating. Some will deny the rumors, stating that they’re just friends (which is so not a believable excuse when there is plenty of proof).
Then there are some female stars who will attempt to squash rumors by saying that they think of their rumored bae in a familial sense. Some celebs will refer to their rumored flame as her “brother” — which seems a bit dysfunctional, if you ask us. There are a few females who will say this pre-relationship confirmation, while others will say it post-breakup. Either way, it’s just plain twisted. So, which female stars are we talking about? Scroll down for all the deets:
1. Selena Gomez — Selena and Justin Bieber (a.k.a. Jelena) are known for their on-again-off-again relationship, but did you know that Sel actually called JB her “little brother” before dating?
Back in 2010, Selena visited The Ellen DeGeneres Show, and Ellen made sure she grilled the Disney Channel alum on her rumored relaysh with the “Purpose” singer. When asked if they were dating, the brunette beauty said, “He’s little. He’s like my little brother. That’s weird to me.”
A year later, Selena made another appearance on the show, where Ellen called out the singer for her previous comment about then-BF Justin. “Don’t take me to jail,” Selena said after Ellen replayed the clip. If we were Selena, we’d probably be just as embarrassed.
2. Demi Lovato — Selena isn’t the only former Disney star to call her BF her brother. In a 2008 interview with Seventeen, Demi gushed about her relationship with the Jonas Brothers. “They’ve become like brothers to me,” Demi said. “I even put on my glasses and wear sweatpants around them because you wouldn’t put makeup on for just your brothers,” she added. Hmm, last time we checked, she ended up dating Joe Jonas shortly afterward.
And even after the couple called it quits, Demi still spoke fondly of Joe, saying that they “argue like brother and sister.”
3. Lea Michele — The relationship between Lea Michele and Cory Monteith (a.k.a. Monchele) was easily one of the cutest… which is why it was all the more heartbreaking when Cory unexpectedly passed away and Lea dedicated her music to him. But, long before the Glee actors were giving us serious #relationshipgoals, Lea referred to Cory with a different term of endearment.
Back when the hit show started, Lea was asked if she was crushing on Cory IRL, just as Rachel Berry had the hots for Finn Hudson. In response, Lea said, “No, I don’t have a crush on Cory! Rachel has a massive crush on him. He’s like my brother.”
4. Chrissy Teigen — Chrissy and John Legend have made it quite clear that they’re basically obsessed with each other. Have you heard the private deets that Chrissy has shared about her hubby during interviews?! TMI, Chrissy.
Chrissy’s WTF comments went to a whole other level last year at the BBMAs. While introducing John to the stage, Chrissy said he’s “like a brother to her.” Umm, whaaaaat?!? That’s just seems a bit cringe-worthy.
5. Gwyneth Paltrow — Gwyneth and Coldplay frontman Chris Martin seem to be friendly exes, but a recent comment made by Gwyn has us seriously vomiting inside.
After landing a cover for February issue of Glamour magazine, the Oscar-winning star also provided a very honest interview. When talking about her relationship status with her ex-husband, Gwyneth spoke openly about how the couple manages to make things work for the sake of their children. Seems fine enough, right? Sure… but things got super awks when she added, “We’re still very much a family, even though we don’t have a romantic relationship. He’s like my brother.” So basically, the guy she was once married to is now considered her brother? K.
Want more celebrity couple gossip? Here are 10 times stars posed with their ex-bae and their next-bae at the same time:
It actually happened!
The Vampire Diaries just wrapped up its final episode, which means exes Nina Dobrev and Ian Somerhalder were forced to be in the same room again. But, apparently, everything went down amicably enough. The two even posed with Ian's now-wife, Nikki Reed, who used to be close friends with Nina before Somereed started dated.
"Can't believe how time flies," Nina wrote on Instagram. "Farewell dinner with team Somereed! So good catching up with these goofballs. All ❤"
Nikki followed up in a long Instagram post of her own, "[H]ere's to putting an end to all those fake stories of on-set jealousy, betrayal, made-up friendships lost & women hating women. Because at the end of the day, that's what this is about: teaching girls that you have to hate other girls only breeds a generation of women who believe you have to hate other women."
Photo: Instagram (@ninadobrev)