Dylan O’Brien Suffered Panic Attacks After Being Hit by Car on Death Cure Set

By  | 

Dylan O’Brien has come a long way since he was hit by a car on the Maze Runner: The Death Cure set back in March 2016. The actor stayed quiet about the horrific accident, with updates coming solely from friends, film executives, etc. The 26-year-old is finally ready is open up about what happened on that fateful day and the emotional, mental and physical toll it took on him in the months following.

“I really was in a dark place there for a while and it wasn’t an easy journey back,” Dyl told Vulture. “There was a time there where I didn’t know if I would ever do it again…and that thought scared me, too.”

The Teen Wolf star said the thought of returning to Hollywood was almost unbearable for a while and he wasn’t sure if he’d be able to finish The Death Cure and his most recent film, American Assassin.

He explained, “I had lost a lot of function, just in my daily routine. I wasn’t even at a point where I felt like I could handle social situations, let alone showing up and being responsible for work every day. Long hours on set, delivering a performance and carrying a movie…it just makes your palms sweat.”

Dylan’s mental state eventually got so bad that he’d “literally show up at the gym having a panic attack.”

“My trainer would be like, ‘All right, let’s just go get breakfast,” he said about working with action coordinator Roger Yuan after he decided to recommit to AA. “I can’t give enough credit to him… he was really there for me, and not just like a trainer where it’s like, ‘Well, come on, man, I gotta pump you up.’ He cared more about my mind and the state that I was in.”

Eventually, the time came for Dyl to fly to London to shoot the Michael Cuesta film, but his anxiety was so bad at the time that he almost didn’t make it on the flight.

“I didn’t even think [my dad and girlfriend Britt Robertson would] let me on the plane, to be honest. I must have looked high or something.”

Luckily, his father, Patrick, traveled to the U.K. to be with his son, which helped ease his stress.

Dylan added, “I don’t think I would have been able to step onto the plane without him.”

The actor still says the months following the accident are “hard to talk about,” but he’s ultimately incredibly happy to have made it through the hard times.

“Coming out of the other side of all this is basically a whole new chapter, and I think I will be going about it differently,” he concluded. “I’m excited to have more balance going forward. Like, I’m not somebody I don’t think who’s going to do three or four movies a year and feel like I have to constantly pump them out. I think there’s something to be said about pacing yourself.”