Dylan O’Brien’s Recovery Isn’t Going As Well As His Castmates Claimed
The news keeps getting worse for fans of Dylan O’Brien and The Maze Runner: The Death Cure. Back in March, it was reported that the 24-year-old actor got severely injured while filming the third installment of the franchise. When the news first broke, fans were immediately sent into a frenzy (and rightly so) — especially since reports stated that a film stunt involving a moving vehicle went terribly wrong, and Dylan was run over by a car. “Yikes” would definitely be an understatement in this case.
The accident left the Teen Wolf star with a series of seemingly serious ailments, and it seemed like the accident was super terrifying and damaging. Dylan’s injuries ranged from “multiple broken bones” to a “concussion, facial fracture and lacerations.” Shortly afterwards, though, the series’ director, Wes Ball, and the author of TMR, James Dashner, took to Twitter to update fans, and assured them that Dylan’s injuries basically weren’t as bad as everyone thought. “It’s scary seeing your friend get hurt, but fortunately, Dylan is going to be just fine. After a few weeks of rest and recovery he will be back up and running to finish our adventure together,” Wes tweeted. Adding to Wes’ sentiments, James tweeted the following:
I just want to let everyone know that yes, Dylan was hurt, but that he’s going to be okay. Not life threatening in any way.
— James Dashner (@jamesdashner) March 18, 2016
Even Dylan’s co-star, Giancarlo Esposito, tried to reassure fans that the main star was actually recovering decently. “He’s healing very well. He got put together a couple of weeks ago… He’s one tough cookie,” Giancarlo said. He also added, “I would imagine many who witnessed thought that was it…[But] he’s a survivor. The one good thing about Dylan that I think is going to help him get back on schedule with us very soon is he has a great attitude.” According to Giancarlo, production was supposed to continue on May 15.
Despite the positive comments from the cast and crew, it doesn’t look like Dylan’s recovery is going as smoothly and quickly as previously anticipated. Production for the YA flick was supposed to resume in May, but the latest update from Fox proves that this is so NOT the case.
“The resumption of principal photography on Maze Runner: The Death Cure has been further delayed to allow Dylan O’Brien more time to fully recover from his injuries. We wish Dylan a speedy recovery and look forward to restarting production as soon as possible,” the studio said. “His injuries are very serious, and he needs more time to recover,” Dylan’s publicist added.
The Death Cure was originally scheduled to hit the big screen on February 17, 2017, but it’s likely that the release date will be pushed back even further to accommodate the leading man.
This isn’t the first time a movie has been delayed because of an actor’s set injuries. These movies also shared the same setback:
The Maze Runner: The Death Cure
Fan totally freaked out (and rightfully so) when news broke that leading man Dylan O'Brien got run over by a car while filming a scene. As a result, Dylan had to undergo surgery for his broken bones, and production for the flick had to be shut down. According to director Wes Ball and author James Dashner, Dylan is going to be alright and filming will resume once he's fully recovered.
Photo: Twentieth Century Fox