9 Casting Secrets You Didn’t Know About Mean Girls
Wondering why our hair is so big today? It's full of secrets — Mean Girls secrets that is! Not only is today (April 30) a Wednesday — and you KNOW on Wednesdays we wear pink — but it's also the 10 year anniversary of when Mean Girls hit theaters. Can we have a moment of silence please?
OK, now that that's done, we think it's time to celebrate a little bit, which is why we're telling you not one, not two, but NINE casting secrets you didn't know about the iconic movie. For instance, did you know that a High School Musical star tested for a role? Yep, that happened.
To find out more about these juicy little tidbits, scroll below!
1. James Franco was almost Aaron Samuels.
In a recent interview, Daniel Franzese — aka Damian — revealed that James Franco had been considered for the role, saying: “Also, Lindsay recently told me that, even before [the actor who got fired], James Franco was considered for the role of Aaron Samuels. I thought that was so cool — Bennett was great but that would have been cool.” James' hair would have looked SO sexy pushed back.
2. Lindsay Lohan was originally cast as Regina George.
According to IMDB, initially Lindsay was cast as Regina, but decided to play the "nice girl" so the public wouldn't base her real personality on Regina's. Rachel McAdams was chosen to play the "mean girl" because "only nice girls can play mean girls" according to the producer.
3. Scarlett Johansson tested for the role of Karen.
She obviously didn't end up getting the part. Maybe she got some Taco Bell afterwards to cheer herself up.
4. A mystery actor was fired from the role of Aaron Samuels after just one day.
In the same Daniel Franzese interview where he gave the James Franco tidbit, he said that an actor had been cast as Aaron, but was fired after the table read on the first day. And though he wouldn’t say who it was, he said that is is someone people would know.
5. Tina Fey admitted to casting Jonathan Bennett because he reminded her of Jimmy Fallon.
We can't say we blame her…
6. Amanda Seyfried was originally supposed to play Cady.
However, producer Lorne Michaels thought she'd be better as the "dumb girl."
7. Lacy Chabert was the first and only choice for the role of Gretchen Weiners.
8. The casting directors searched through four different cities to find the right actor to play Damian.
We're sure glad they took their time — we couldn't imagine anyone saying this iconic line.
9. Ashley Tisdale auditioned for the role of Karen.
Yep! Even though Ashley missed out on this, we think she's doing just fine for herself.
How are you celebrating Mean Girls' 10th anniversary today? Tell us in the comments!
Celebs do dramatic readings of lines from Mean Girls!