Big Time Rush Guy Experiences Scary House Fire After Smoke Detectors Fail
Carlos and Alexa PenaVega are thanking their guardian angels for keeping them safe after waking up early yesterday morning to the smell of smoke and discovering that their house was on fire. The former Spy Kids actress wrote about the terrifying experience on her Facebook page.
“Yesterday at 5 am I woke up to the faint smell of smoke. I immediately knew something was wrong. I woke Carlos up and we rushed out of the bed racing through the house to figure out what was happening. When we turned the lights on there was smoke everywhere. It was in every room. Carlos ran to get George up and We searched all over upstairs for the fire and Finally we raced down the stairs and found our entire bbq side of the house up in flames. I cannot begin to explain what a surreal and terrifying experience yesterday was. We raced to get the fire out and everything around it out of the way. Four fire trucks later and a burned side of the house the reality of fire safety hit us hard!!!”
While the Big Time Rush singer and his wife were obviously shaken up at first, the quickly realized that the incident could’ve been so much worse, as their newly installed smoke alarms failed to alert them of the problem.
“I always thought we were prepared… Just last week we had ADT at the house changing ALL the smoke alarms… but nothing went off during the fire. ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS have them run a smoke test to make sure they are working properly. Most people die from smoke inhalation before the fire even reaches them. It was by the grace of God that I woke up. Truly there were angels watching over. Our room is on the complete other side of the house. Next…FIRE extinguishers!!! I went under the sink to grab our extinguisher and it wasn’t there… I raced to the garage to find it… nothing. Somewhere in the jumble of redoing our garage and home the extinguishers were lost. Please put extinguishers throughout your entire house so you never have to run around looking for one. Time is everything when it comes to fires. They spread so quickly and you don’t have time to search around for one. Lastly, I made an embarrassing error by leaving the bbq on… however, bbq’s should be able to withstand heat for hours at a time because the heat is contained. Our builder did not build the bbq area following the code. (According to the inspectors this happens a lot and results in many fires). Wood is supposed to at least 18 inches away from your bbq… our bbq was sitting directly onto wooden pieces and frames. This fire was completely preventable! If you have a built in bbq please check and make sure that it is not sitting on top of any wood!!! I normally don’t like to go on and on… but this was so scary and so preventable and I just want to share this so everyone is prepared!”
We can’t even imagine how terrifying this must’ve been for Carlos and Alexa, and we’re SO glad they are safe.
8 Things You Didn’t Know About Big Time Rush: