The Top 5 Worst (Re: Greatest) Ariana Grande Scandals of All Time
Ariana Grande‘s had a pretty clean year, only making controversial headlines for, maybe, insinuating in her “Into You” music video that she cheated on ex-boyfriend Big Sean with her (now-ex-)boyfriend Ricky Alvarez. And that was only speculation. Other than that, she’s been rockin’ ponytails and bangs with practically zero drama.
Yet, no matter how fresh of a slate she has, we can never forget her past. The so-called ~diva~ photo shoots, the supposed nasty comments about her fans, the time she may’ve outed one of her exes (re: “Break Your Heart Right Back,” as well as all the scandals below. Here are the top 5 WORST (or, greatest, depending on how you look at it) Ariana Grande controversies of all time:
5. When she accidentally cursed on Saturday Night Live. Hey, sh*t happens, but spitting out explicit language, even by mistake, is a big no-no in the world of live television.
4. That time Jennette McCurdy accused the singer of being a bad friend. Before Sam & Cat was canceled, one half of the duo released a lengthy statement, saying that her friendship, presumably with the successful ponytailed star, “slowly fizzled out.” The letter goes on to state, “I might possibly be the worst version of myself when I’m around you… I’m not playing your games, letting you manipulate me and succumbing to your twisted perception of reality” and “You sucked the life right out of me, and I want my life back.” Like… what the eff happened there??
3. That time her ex called her out for cheating. So many people were on Team Nariana after Ari linked up with her “Almost is Never Enough” partner, Nathan Sykes, in 2013. One person that definitely was NOT on the same team, though, was her former love, Jai Brooks.
“Once you are cheated on, you should never go back and I did because I wasn’t ready to give up on love and something that was everything to me,” the Janoskian said in a Twitter rant. “Nathan may be a top bloke or a sweet person, but what he did was just completely wrong. He interfered with my life and did not respect my relationship, his actions caused me to not be able to sleep at night and not see the world as a beautiful place.”
And he just so happened to write about the wrongdoing on what was meant to be a special occasion for Jariana. “Today was supposed to be our one-year anniversary,” he explained. “But instead I’m writing this. Do you know how s*** this makes me feel?”
Ariana denied the claims, and even got back together for a short while, but the damage was done to her reputation.
2. The infamous nude photo scandal. Along with Jennifer Lawrence, Rihanna, Kate Upton and even fellow Victorious co-star Victoria Justice, alleged naked pictures of Ariana were leaked onto the Internet in 2014 after an iCloud hacking.
The now-23-year-old denied that the snapshots were actually of her, tweeting, “my lil ass is a lot cuter than that,” but that still sucked nonetheless.
1. When she licked a confectionery treat and dissed her country all in one night. We still can’t believe this was even an event, but it’s something that people continue to talk about.
In July 2015, health officials investigated a leaked video of the “Into You” crooner licking a doughnut, as well as the doughnut shop itself. The main problem was that, after the young star contaminated the products, they were sold to paying customers. Blech.
The footage also showed Ariana exclaiming, “What the f*** is that? I hate Americans. I hate America.” That’s no health violation, but it was enough to get the White House to turn down one of her gigs in July 2016, an entire YEAR after the unpatriotic incident took place.
Of course, Ariana’s not the only star to curse on live TV. The proof: